Re: PHP-Survey Database Access Vulnerability

From: Jens Knoell (jensat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 16:03:03 PDT

    From: "MOD" <br014c1155at_private>
    > PHP-Survey is an online survey creation and management system written in
    > PHP. It uses a MySQL database on backend for all data handling.
    > Global.inc holds the database information, and settings for the survey's
    > interface. Global.inc on default settings is not interpreted by PHP hence
    > any user can make an HTTP request for global.inc and will be able to view
    > the source code, hence the database password, username, localhost is
    > revealed, and also superuser information for the administration of the
    poll
    > survey. A solution might be to rename global.inc to global.inc.php.

    A better advice would probably be to make .inc files inaccessible for
    webbrowsers. This is generally a good idea, as to the best of my knowledge
    no web app ever sends .inc files for anything.

    On Apache, this could be done with something like this:
    <Files *.inc>
        Order allow,deny
        Deny from all
    </Files>