Fragroute-NetworkICE follow-up

From: Chris Deibler (chris.deiblerat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 16:14:12 PDT

    Dug Song (author of fragroute) was kind enough to send me a better set
    of parameters for masking IIS Unicode Traversals.  According to him,
    these results will be far more meaningful.  After a quick test, this
    appears to be true. The scenario is  the same as yesterday's, but this
    time there is a sentry in front of both the source and the target
    networks.  The results are quite interesting.

    The fragroute.conf:

    tcp_seg 1
    tcp_chaff paws
    order random
    print  <--- again, only as a sanity check

    This is the same stream of IIS traversal attempts as used yesterday.
    The results:

    As seen from in front of attacker:
    TCP data changed, count 6109
    HTTP URL bad hex code, count 6
    Telnet abuse, count 4223

    As seen from in front of target:
    TCP data changed, count 6093
    HTTP URL bad hex code, count 6
    Telnet abuse, count 4122

    The results are pretty wild.  As we can see, there are no IIS traversal
    related events.  The source-located sentry pulled this out of the "bad
    hex code" stream:

    ...a../...q.../..n.t/...t.m....md.exe|...t..b.n/....5.e......e....25....
    .52e/..%.e....2./..nnt/.y...m.2......x............H.T./....|..cr........
    2..e.............2e...252e.....2......2e/...n....s.em3...md..x....+d.r..
    :|

    The target-located sentry pulled this out of the bad hex code stream:

    ./......pc.........c......1.p.../w.n.t.sy.....2...d...e

    You can *almost* read the IIS traversal inside these events.  Obviously,
    the event itself is a false positive, as we know that's not what we were
    transmitting.  The telnet abuse is kind of surprising.  I'm not sure
    what the sentry was thinking.  Telnet abuse is normally generated by any
    interactive terminal session opened against a port that isn't 23 -- our
    script has not set this off in the past.

    So, here's the questions.  We've mangled the data to the point where the
    sentry can't properly parse the data.  But is the receiving IP stack
    reassembling the data better?  Would the sent commands activate as
    intended?  The events sent off a slew of red flags in our operations
    center (that's a lot of TCP data changed), and in a managed client
    situation would have prompted a response from our staff, but the
    traversals have been masked to the point where a casual observer might
    miss what was actually occurring.  The response to this really depends
    on the posture of your (as a security provider) individual operations
    centers.  I'd like to play with this some more, when I can get a more
    controlled target environment -- I apologize for the haste of this
    update.  Thanks to Dug for the strings -- 1 byte is really small!  If
    anyone gets to experiment with this before I do, please, share your
    findings.

    --Chris

    Chris Deibler, CISSP
    Senior Security Consultant