Levcgi.coms MyGuestbook JavaScript Injection Vulnerability

From: BrainRawt . (brainrawtat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 14:45:25 PDT

      ___________    ____________    ____  __  ___    ______________
    |\    ____  \  |\    ____   \  |\   \|\ \|\  \  |\_____    ____\
    | \   \__|\  \ | \   \__|\   \ | \   \ \ \ \  \ | |   |\   \   |
    \  \    ___   | \ \    ____   \ \ \   \_| \_|  \ \|___| \   \__|
      \  \   \_|\  \_ \ \   \__|\   \ \ \      _     \      \ \   \
       \  \   \\ \   \ \ \   \ \ \   \ \ \     |\ http://rawt.daemon.sh
        \  \___\\ \___\ \ \___\ \ \___\ \ \____| \_____\      \ \___\
         \ |   | \ |   | \ |   | \ |   | \ |   |\ |    |       \ |   |
          \|___|  \|___|  \|___|  \|___|  \|___| \|____|        \|___|

    Levcgi.coms MyGuestbook JavaScript Injection Vulnerability
    Discovered By BrainRawt (brainrawtat_private)

    About MyGuestbook:
    ------------------
    Highly customizable guestbook that was released on Feb. 20, 2002, and
    can be downloaded at http://www.levcgi.com/programs.cgi?program=myguestbook

    According to the website, ...myGuestbook has been downloaded 1298 times!

    Vulnerable (tested) Versions:
    --------------------
    MyGuestbook v 1.0

    Vendor Contact:
    ----------------
    4-28-02 - Emailed levat_private

    4-30-02 - No Reply from the author and I have decided not to wait since I
               never got a reply about another concern i had several months ago
               involving one of his cgi scripts.

    Vulnerability:
    ----------------
    myguestbook inproperly filters input to the guestbook making the guestbook
    prone to cross-site scripting attacks by malicious visitors to the site.
    This
    could be a medium to high concern when mixed with a website that uses
    cookies.

    Exploit (POC):
    Sign up and post using the "name"
    <script>alert('evil+java+script+here')</script>

    or

    When posting comments just insert the
    <script>alert('evil+java+script+here')</script>
    to the comments field.

    Knowledge is Power! How Powerful are you? - BrainRawt