Re: Trojan/backdoor in fragroute 1.2 source distribution

From: uid0at_private
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 08:48:29 PDT

    On Fri, 2002-05-31 at 09:55:21 +0200, Anders Nordby wrote...

    ; Although downloading it now seems safe, I think folks should know this.
    ; The changes done were similar to what happened to irssi, but with a
    ; different IP.
    ;
    ; MD5 sum of fragroute-1.2.tar.gz, downloaded from
    ; http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/fragroute/ on may 27 (the contaminated
    ; version): 65edbfc51f8070517f14ceeb8f721075
    ;
    ; MD5 sum of fragroute-1.2.tar.gz, downloaded from
    ; http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/fragroute/ on may 30 (this is the current
    ; MD5 sum): 7e4de763fae35a50e871bdcd1ac8e23a

    This makes one wonder a question that would be best posed to the community;
    the purpose of MD5/SHA/etc is to provide unequivocal evidence as to the
    validity of a piece of data. More often than not, such files are kept in the
    same, vulnerable, location as the actual data. Clearly one can see the
    downfall of such a system.

    To what extent have the entities in this forum started to analyze methods
    by which to use a "trusted" third party to house such signatures of data?
    In my mind, it seems evident that a light system might take some of the
    functionaility of the trusted CA model in SSL, and use it to provide
    guaranteed (as much as one can) signatures.

    This might be a good discussion for another forum, but I'm curious to know
    if anything as such is being done.

    -#0