Re: Trojan/backdoor in fragroute 1.2 source distribution

From: Dug Song (dugsongat_private)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 09:34:49 PDT

    On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 09:55:21AM +0200, Anders Nordby wrote:

    > Although downloading it now seems safe, I think folks should know
    > this.  The changes done were similar to what happened to irssi, but
    > with a different IP.

    monkey.org was compromised on May 14th, via an epic4-pre2.511
    client-side hole which produced a shell to one of the local admin's
    accounts. this was later used to reattach to one of his screen
    sessions, which apparently had a root window open (su very bad!).

    the dsniff-2.3, fragroute-1.2, and fragrouter-1.6 tarballs were all
    modified at 3 AM on May 17th to include the same configure backdoor as
    described in the irssi advisory. no other public web content was
    modified, and the system was restored a week later, from scratch.
    the correct checksums are:

    MD5 (dsniff-2.3.tar.gz) = 183e336a45e38013f3af840bddec44b4
    MD5 (fragroute-1.2.tar.gz) = 7e4de763fae35a50e871bdcd1ac8e23a
    MD5 (fragrouter-1.6.tar.gz) = 73fdc73f8da0b41b995420ded00533cc

    of the 1951 hosts that successfully downloaded one of the backdoored
    tarballs, 992 of them were Windows machines and 193 were automated
    ports downloads for the *BSD dsniff or fragrouter ports, leaving 746
    Linux (and a few Solaris and MacOS) hosts potentially vulnerable, and
    20 FreeBSD and OpenBSD hosts.

    we have since migrated our system to OpenBSD-current, importing Niels
    Provos' excellent systrace subsystem:

    	http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/systrace

    which allows us to run all user sessions under a restricted syscall
    policy (e.g. so an IRC client cannot exec(), open() anything outside
    ~/.irc, etc.), similar in spirit to Goldberg and Wagner's Janus
    sandbox, or Cowen's SubDomain.

    in the future, our software distributions may carry embedded
    signatures via gzsig:

    	http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/gzsig-0.1.tar.gz

    but for the time being, please be careful what you download, and
    carefully audit or sandbox any third-party scripts or software you
    run...

    -d.

    ---
    http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/