Re: Cisco VPN3000 gateway MTU overflow

From: Pete Davis (psdat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 08:31:29 PDT

    Thanks for the comments on problems you are experiencing. I did not receive
    a response to any of the previous messages I sent you, so I have copied the
    Bugtraq list, in case you do not receive email sent to your reply to
    address.

    In general, the best way to report product problems is to open up a case
    with the Cisco TAC (Tech Support) and our TAC will work with you to go
    through your issues and help find a resolution. If you open a TAC case in
    the future and you aren't satisfied, you should feel free to ask for the
    case to be escalated. Any problems that are found will have bug IDs assigned
    to them so that we can track and fix them for you as soon possible. All open
    bugs are visible by all customers in our Bug Tracker tool on cco.cisco.com.

    Security related items are handled through our PSIRT group
    (psirtat_private), which helps coordinate getting a fix and response out as
    soon as possible including distribution of information to Bugtraq and
    various other mailing lists.

    Since your issue report appears at first glance to be problem related, I
    will do my best to help respond. If you have specific questions or
    additional information, please feel free to drop it to me directly and we
    will work to help you resolve problems you are experiencing. If you a
    specific support case #, please attach this in your email to me as well.
    This information will help to make sure that we have all the details on your
    specific environment so that if you have found a new problem, we can ensure
    it is corrected ASAP.

    Our next release will offer some additional nice enhancements regarding
    fragmentation, Path MTU Discovery (PMTUD) and Client MTU determination.

    Specifically-
    1. Ability to choose whether or not large packet fragmentation is performed
    before or after encapsulation "pre-fragmentation" as well as whether or not
    the Concentrator responds to internal ICMP/PMTUD requests and requests an
    internal device to lower its MTU, or otherwise fragments the packet and
    clears the DF bit if set. The main reason that this will be a configurable
    option is due to the fact that specific service packets of Windows 2000 and
    some other OS's do not respond to PMTUD when the request comes from a client
    on the same subnet as the server. (Concentrator)
    2. Ability to define a maximum Concentrator MTU < default of ~15XX bytes
    (Concentrator)
    3. Adjusted setMTU behavior to fix specific NDISWAN/dial-up related issues
    that may presently require manual MTU adjustment workaround (Client)

    The setMTU application is needed on the client side regardless of anything
    on the Concentrator side. In most cases (and we strive for all), running it
    manually should be unnecessary. There are some enhancements with our next
    release that fix a couple of specific dial-up/NDISWAN issues on the client
    side.

    If you are interested in specifically trying out our new release and
    providing beta feedback as to whether or not your problem is resolved or
    would like us to help to resolve your issues, you can feel free to contact
    me directly. Since the concentrator does fragment large packets, it would be
    interesting to know if you're seeing 1580 byte packets on the wire or the
    1580 byte packet fragmented based on the Ethernet MTU of 1518. In order to
    investigate and resolve the problems you are reporting, please send me
    information concerning your application/environment, MTU on the Client,
    Concentrator configuration, device on the public side of the Concentrator
    exhibiting problems and a sniffer trace showing 1580 byte packets on the
    wire or other problems you are seeing.

    I look forward to hearing back from you so that we can help resolve your
    problems.

    Best Regards,
    -Pete Davis
    Cisco Systems, Inc.
    (508) 553-6007

    <ATTACHMENT>

    Cisco VPN3000 gateway MTU overflow ==================================

    Bug class: Conceptual/bad protocol implementation
    Equipments affected: Cisco/VPN 3000 Concentrator with
      software vpn3000-3.5.Rel-k9.bin

    FACTS
      The Cisco VPN3000 gateway lets remote client dictate
      which maximum MTU to use when sending back ESP
      frames, regardless of the transmitting capabilities
      of the physical medium.

    IMPACT
    * Oversized frames get silently discarded by
      equipements linked to the gateway's public
      interface and retransmissions occur.
    * Other disturbances or DoS against neighboring
      equipements may occur, especially as many IP
      stacks on routers and sniffers etc ... are
      poorly implemented.

    DETAILS
      We have witnessed this phenomena after establishing
      tunnels with the "VPN dialer" over a modem
      connexion: when the target sends back ethernet
      frames with size close to the max ethernet MTU
      (1500), the gateway encrypts the frames adding
      ESP headers and stupidly tries to send a
      1580-bytes frame back to the client.

    RESOLUTION
    -> From the official documentation there is no way
    to enforce a maximum MTU on the VPN gateway.
    -> Hence: a gateway software patch by Cisco is
    necessary: if MTU negociation occurs, the gateway
    should set a max-MTU threshold (the physical medium's !).

    PSEUDO WORKAROUNDS

    * client side: For Windows-based OS (likely Unix and
      Linux-based OS too), Cisco released a tool
      called setMTU.exe that can prevent ill MTU
      negociation from happening.

    * target side: artificially lowering the max MTU
      on the interfaces.

    ->  But such a policy is not acceptable:
      The VPN client, as well as remote targets,
      should not have to be aware of
      the gateway's interface configuration !

        The bug does not lie in client software, but
      in the gateway's software.

    Master Phi

    </ATTACHMENT>