ICQ and MSIE allow execution of arbitrary code

From: Jelmer (jelmerat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 06:20:25 PDT

    >>Outline<<

    <qoute>
    I was about to put on a home page
    right after I discovered it [and still had a hope that I will be
    that one who will finally destroy the world :>]:
    </quote>

    Well i dont know if it will destroy the world, but sure enough it's enough
    to destory a small portion off it :)

    Actually i found the "hole" adam discovered myself a few months back but
    didn't think it was particularly world shocking at the time so i didnt even
    bother to report it (silly me) , Over the course of the last moths I did
    some other research and this one was forgotten untill i read adams post this
    morning and made the connection with some other research I did.

    It does infact allow you to run code of your choosing on a victims machine
    by creating a specially crafted webpage and sound scheme file

    >>Explaination and example<<

    I have created an example exploit on

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~jkuperus/icq/icq.htm

    that starts a little flame program

    It works as followed

    the default action for icq soundscheme (scm) files is open it places the wav
    files included with the scm file in a known location on the hard disk.

    flame.scm wil be downloaded and installed in C:\Program
    Files\ICQ\Sounds\flame[1]
    the scm file i use creates a auth.wav file .

    In reality however this is not a wav file but a mht (mail archive file) with
    en embeded base64 encoded executable

    then i use one of the many available local code execution vulnerabilities
    found in internet explorer recently to execute the embedded binary with this
    url :

    mhtml:file:///C:/Program%20Files/ICQ/Sounds/flame/Auth.wav!file:///C:/fire.e
    xe

    I dont think its necisary to use one of ie's exploit as you can also call
    html files in the mht archive, But for some reason i wasn't able to get this
    to work right away.

    >>Workaround  <<

    For a short term solution

    open explorer (the file manager not the browser)
    go to the file types tab in  tools > folder options

    locate the scm extention and change the default behaviour to prompt before
    download

    In the long term icq will have to use something like random foldernames for
    soundschemes to prefent this from happening