Re: ICQ and MSIE allow execution of arbitrary code

From: Stan Bubrouski (stanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 07:39:48 PDT

    Jelmer wrote:

    >>>Outline<<

    <SNIP>

    >It does infact allow you to run code of your choosing on a victims machine
    >by creating a specially crafted webpage and sound scheme file

    Your absolutely correct.  I can confirm this on:

    ICQ: 2000b (The problem goes back 3 years!)
    OS: Windows 2000 Professional SP2 (With all hotfixes and windows updates)
    IE: 6.0.2600.0000 (again, with ALL latest fixes/patches and windows updates)

    So what we have here is a rather serious flaw, which affects all
    versions of  ICQ from
    at least version 2000b onward...and I am told (yeah I know, hearsay)
    this is working
    on 2000a as well.  Jelmer's workaround of changing the SCM extension in
    folder
    options does appear to do the job, although I recommend unmapping the
    extension
    alltogether... or turning off scripting entirely as this is VERY easy to
    exploit and extremely
    serious...

    -Stan Bubrouski