Norton AV 2002 rewriting SMTP, breaking TLS

From: Dale Clapperton (lists) (listsat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 06:00:22 PDT

    Hi all

    Sending this to bugtraq at the suggestion of a collegue on an ISP mailing list
    in this neck of the woods.

    Norton Antivirus 2002 appears to be transparently intercepting and
    rewriting SMTP transactions from desktops on which it is installed.  In
    particular, it intercepts the "STARTTLS" command and returns a bogus
    "500 Unsupported command." response.  The STARTTLS command is never sent
    to the SMTP server, and the response is not generated by the SMTP
    server.

    This has the effect of breaking encrypted SMTP sessions.  Email clients will
    issue the "STARTTLS" command, recieve the bogus error from NAV, and usually
    abort the sending action with an obscure error message, the exact nature of
    which can generally only be revealed by enabling SMTP transaction logging in
    the mail client, or using a packet sniffer to watch the conversation.

    The user disabling the Norton AV process in the taskbar has no affect on this,
    the Administrator user (on Win2k, have not tried on other platforms) has to
    specifically disable outbound email scanning.

    What the desktop sees:
    << 220 mailserver.example.com ESMTP Postfix
    >> EHLO TEST
    << 250-mailserver.example.com
    << 250-PIPELINING
    << 250-SIZE 10240000
    << 250-VRFY
    << 250-ETRN
    << 250-STARTTLS
    << 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5
    << 250-XVERP
    << 250 8BITMIME
    >> STARTTLS
    << 500 Unsupported command.
    >> QUIT
    << 221 Closing connection. Good bye.

    What the SMTP server sees:

    >> 220 mailserver.example.com ESMTP Postfix
    << EHLO TEST
    >> 250-mailserver.example.com
    >> 250-PIPELINING
    >> 250-SIZE 10240000
    >> 250-VRFY
    >> 250-ETRN
    >> 250-STARTTLS
    >> 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5
    >> 250-XVERP
    >> 250 8BITMIME
    << QUIT
    >> 221 Bye

    Notice that the 221 message is also rewritten (for no apparent reason).

    I presume that Norton AV is doing this interception and rewriting at a
    network level to foil virii/worms which use their own SMTP
    implementations to spread via email.  However, the way in which they are
    doing this is quite insidious.  I've not seen it mentioned anywhere in
    the program or the documentation that it intercepts and rewrites SMTP
    transactions.

    I would hope that, at least, when their interception returns a bogus 500
    response to a STARTTLS command that they could cause some kind of error
    to be displayed in a dialog box etc, or return a more meaningful error such as
    "500 Norton Antivirus has disabled use of TLS", instead of invisibly causing
    the use of encrypted SMTP to break for no apparent reason.

    Dale Clapperton