Re: Forged FROM addresses/non-disclosed info in Outlook can lead to potential serious Social Attack

From: Andrew Church (achurchat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 20:39:13 PDT

         I've written an Internet-Draft on this subject
    (draft-church-dns-mail-sender-01.txt) that takes much the same approach,
    but after discussion with others, allow/deny based on IP address doesn't
    seem to be the best way to go about this.  One example I was given is a
    case where an employee sends mail through an MTA on his workstation; if the
    employee has to go offsite, he suddenly becomes unable to send mail from
    the company's domain normally unless he gets the DNS admin to add an entry
    for his new address.

         I'm planning to write a new version of the draft within the next week
    or so that uses a challenge/response method, with the challenge stored in
    the DNS entry and the response sent over SMTP (or something like that; I'm
    still working on the details).  If anyone is interested in receiving a copy
    of the new draft when it is complete, please let me know.

      --Andrew Church
        achurchat_private
        http://achurch.org/