Interface promiscuity obscurity in Linux

From: Ricardo Branco (97-29312at_private)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 13:20:19 PDT

    This affects Linux 2.2 and 2.4

    Using libpcap to put the interface in promiscuous mode, will cause that
    ifconfig(8) doesn't show it!

    libpcap uses setsockopt(..., SOL_PACKET, PACKET_ADD_MEMBERSHIP, ...) with
    PACKET_MR_PROMISC to set the interface in promiscuous mode.

    I notified this to the tcpdump-workers mailing list and the problem is
    that the setsockopt() sets the promisc flag in a variable that is not the
    same as the one that the SIOCGIFFLAGS ioctl() reads. I don't have the
    kernel source right now to make this advisory more precise.

    Well, sorry for my not-so-good english
    Enjoy