Re: Apple OSX and iDisk and Mail.app

From: Dale Southard (southard1at_private)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 13:48:10 PDT

    merlynat_private (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

    > Net effect: your iDisk password is transmitted in the clear without
    > your awareness, albeit as a mail password.
    >
    > Problems:
    >
    > - mac.com SMTP doesn't support encrypted passwords

    Are you sure?

      myhost{dsouth}:  telnet smtp.mac.com 25
      Trying 204.179.120.48...
      Connected to smtp.mac.com.
      Escape character is '^]'.
      220 ESMTP service
      ehlo foo.bar
      250-asmtp02.mac.com
      250-PIPELINING
      250-ETRN
      250-DSN
      250-STARTTLS
      250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
      250 AUTH=LOGIN
      ^]
      telnet> quit
      Connection closed.

    It looks like smtp.mac.com supports STARTTLS, which could be used to
    armor the PLAIN/LOGIN authentication.  Granted, it isn't clear that
    mail.app is capable of doing SSL/TLS when connecting to a SMTP server
    for sends, but mail.app does support SSL/TLS for IMAP receives.

    --

    /*  Dale Southard Jr.  dsouthat_private  925-422-1463, fax 422-9429  */
    /*  Computer Scientist, Accelerated Strategic Computing Initiative  */