RE: Arbitrary Code Execution Vulnerability in VanDyke SecureCRT 3.4 & 4.0 beta

From: Burton M. Strauss III (bstrauss3at_private)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 13:42:10 PDT

    You know, that's only partially a solution.  For those of us who haven't
    chosen to PAY for the upgrade to 3.4, we're left out in the cold.  Quoting
    from VanDyke's web page:

    "All users may evaluate SecureCRT 3.4 for 30 days free of charge. Registered
    users who purchased licenses before July 1, 2000 should consult the Upgrade
    Eligibility page to learn about licensing the 3.4 upgrade."

    and

    "SecureCRT Upgrade

    Registered users who purchased licenses before July 1, 2001 may choose to
    purchase SecureCRT upgrades starting at $39.95 for a single copy.

    <snip />

    SecureCRT users who purchased licenses between January 1 and July 1, 2000
    are eligible to download SecureCRT 3.3.3 and upgrade without charge.
    SecureCRT users who purchased licenses before January 1, 2000 are eligible
    to download SecureCRT 3.2.1 and upgrade without charge."

    I'm not unsympathetic to the need to have a licensing revenue stream, but
    let's remember that this leaves (dozens? hundreds? thousands? Just me) of
    your customers unprotected.

    -----Burton