Re: Arbitrary Code Execution Vulnerability in VanDyke SecureCRT 3.4 & 4.0 beta

From: Bela Lubkin (belalat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 15:41:10 PDT

    Burton M. Strauss III wrote:

    > You know, that's only partially a solution.  For those of us who haven't
    > chosen to PAY for the upgrade to 3.4, we're left out in the cold.  Quoting
    > from VanDyke's web page:
    >
    > "All users may evaluate SecureCRT 3.4 for 30 days free of charge. Registered
    > users who purchased licenses before July 1, 2000 should consult the Upgrade
    > Eligibility page to learn about licensing the 3.4 upgrade."
    >
    > and
    >
    > "SecureCRT Upgrade
    >
    > Registered users who purchased licenses before July 1, 2001 may choose to
    > purchase SecureCRT upgrades starting at $39.95 for a single copy.
    >
    > <snip />
    >
    > SecureCRT users who purchased licenses between January 1 and July 1, 2000
    > are eligible to download SecureCRT 3.3.3 and upgrade without charge.
    > SecureCRT users who purchased licenses before January 1, 2000 are eligible
    > to download SecureCRT 3.2.1 and upgrade without charge."
    >

    > I'm not unsympathetic to the need to have a licensing revenue stream, but
    > let's remember that this leaves (dozens? hundreds? thousands? Just me) of
    > your customers unprotected.

    One of the README files on their site (I read it earlier today and
    didn't note the URL) says that a patched 3.2.1 version will be made
    available shortly.  They are not leaving you out in the cold.  You just
    need to wait a couple of days before resuming your practice of ssh'ing
    in to untrusted sites.

    (BTW, if sshd on a site might be a corrupted, malicious trojan which
    injects code into your local ssh client -- might it not also be a
    corrupted, malicious trojan which records encrypted password
    information, passes on a decrypted stream of everything you type in a
    session, or who knows what else?  If you do not trust the sshd to which
    you are connecting, I'm not sure it makes very much difference whether
    the client has code-injection portholes or not...)