Re: Arbitrary Code Execution Vulnerability in VanDyke SecureCRT 3.4 & 4.0 beta

From: Bela Lubkin (belalat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 22:22:54 PDT

    Russell Harding wrote:

    >   Of course it matters if the client has code-injection 'portholes' as you
    > call them.  Someone may be using nasty tricks through ARP, DNS, or even
    > manipulating routing tables, such that you are not actually connecting to
    > a host you trust.  This is why ssh implements host keys, so you can verify
    > the authenticicy of the remote host.  However, in the case described
    > above, with SecureCRT, your machine would already be compromised before
    > host key verification took place.

    Thanks (and to Jim Paris).

    I of course did not mean that it was OK for the client to have code
    injection "portholes".  I just meant that the particular exploit path
    that was described wasn't very interesting since someone who maliciously
    controls the sshd to which you are speaking has so many other
    opportunities to exploit you.