Re: Arbitrary Code Execution Vulnerability in VanDyke SecureCRT 3.4 & 4.0 beta

From: Jim Paris (jimat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 03:14:55 PDT

    > Thanks (and to Jim Paris).
    >
    > I of course did not mean that it was OK for the client to have code
    > injection "portholes".  I just meant that the particular exploit path
    > that was described wasn't very interesting since someone who maliciously
    > controls the sshd to which you are speaking has so many other
    > opportunities to exploit you.

    Once again, you're wrong.  "The particular exploit path that was
    desscribed" does _not_ require that someone can control the sshd to
    which you're speaking -- it only requires that someone can control
    your TCP/IP traffic.  There's a very big difference there.  Obviously,
    the security of your TCP/IP traffic is solved with host key
    verification and cryptography.  But this bug in SecureCRT happens way,
    way before any of that takes place.

    -jim