Re: VNC authentication weakness

From: Mike Porter (mikeat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 09:25:37 PDT

    > To be more specific, there are two things you need in a challenge
    > value:  uniqueness and unpredictability.  Lack of uniqueness allows an
    > attacker to replay a past response to a future challenge.  Predictability
    > allows an attacker to pre-fetch a correct future response from one of the
    > parties.
    >
    > A counter provides perfect uniqueness (up to its maximum range) but easy
    > predictability.  A physical random source provides great unpredictability

    A counter is acceptable if it and a value from the entropy pool are
    run through MD5 or SHA1.  The "seed" or current state of the
    entropy pool must of course be kept in a secure fashion and not
    revealed.  You must not ever re-issue a challenge, etc.  The
    counter must be used properly and not allowed to wrap without some
    sort of reseeding operation.  Otherwise, you will violate the
    previous condition.

    I have hardly covered all the points.  A good paper seems to be:
    http://www.counterpane.com/yarrow.html.

    Mike