Re: It takes two to tango

From: Chris Paget (ivegottaat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 08:53:26 PDT

    On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:15:27 -0400 (EDT), Greg A. Woods wrote:

    >[ On Wednesday, July 31, 2002 at 11:34:57 (+0100), Chris Paget wrote: ]
    >> Subject: Re: It takes two to tango
    >>
    >> Does V still have the right to sue R?
    >
    >Absolutely not.  They were given more than fair notice.

    According to the CNet article:

    In HP's case, SnoSoft says that information made public last year
    should have given the computer maker enough time to fix the problem.

    and

    HP has known about the Tru64 vulnerability "for some time," SnoSoft's
    Finisterre said, but never fixed the problem. An HP spokesman said he
    did not know if a patch had been released.

    Last year?  if >7 months isn't enough time to count as "fair notice"
    then what is?  This was a new exploit for an old hole, demonstrating
    that fair notice is irrelevant if the vendor doesn't like what's going
    on.  That's what's frightening me - even if I follow widely recognised
    industry best practices when releasing an advisory, I can still be
    held personally liable if the vendor decides to invoke that magical
    4-letter acronym - DMCA.

    Yes, I'm in the UK, and could probably argue that the DMCA doesn't
    apply to me.  But the EUCD is virtually identical, and would apply in
    exactly the same way as the DMCA should the vendor choose to wield it.

    Chris

    --
    Chris Paget
    ivegottaat_private