Re: It takes two to tango

From: Derek D. Martin (ddmat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 15:09:38 PDT

    At some point hitherto, Riad S. Wahby hath spake thusly:
    > Two weeks later, a story breaks in the national news that a psychopath
    > has taken it upon himself to rear-end all Ford cars on rainy moonlit
    > nights.  So far, five people have died.
    >
    > Who is responsible, Ford or Consumer Reports?  Do you think Ford could
    > successfully prosecute a lawsuit against Consumer Reports?

    How about the psychopath?  Certainly Ford's negligence contributes, in
    that it allows the opportunity for the psychopath's mission...  But,
    as I think often happens in security circles, people are often wont to
    overlook the responsibility of the misguided, perhaps unknown
    individual who is actually committing these acts, in favor of the
    obvious easy target with deep pockets.  People who commit computer
    crime should be tracked down and punished according to the severity of
    their crime.

    OTOH, recent trends here in the United States suggest that
    legislatures are passing, and judical systems all too quick to make
    use of very stiff penalties for crimes which often amount to
    tresspassing or vandalism.  Today's political climate seems to be
    becoming one where it's not unlikely that someone will be sentenced to
    life in prison for actions which largely amount to throwing a rock
    through someone's window -- a crime whose penalty would itself likely
    amount to some official court person admonishing the convicted to
    "don't do that again."

    Software vendors seem quite happy with this development.  It points
    the blame at someone besides themselves, and relieves them again of
    their duty to write good software that doesn't break when you sneeze
    in its general direction.  The possible case of HP v. SnoSoft
    highlights this issue.  Evidently writing good software is too hard or
    too costly for many vendors, so they'd rather just prosecute people
    who make them look bad.  It's cheaper, and it cuts down on the number
    of people willing to do the kind of research and publish the results
    that make the Bugtraq mailing list worth reading.

    Despite all the work that has been done by the security community,
    full disclosure seems only to have angered the software giants into
    using their financial resources NOT to actually fix the problems with
    their software, as a responsible corporate citizen would do, but
    instead to keep people like you from exposing them and complaining
    about them publicly, essentially making it illegal to do so.  And
    through their most generous campaign donations, they have bought the
    support of the legislature for such atrocities as the DMCA and other
    similar legislation, which effectively squash your 1st Amendment right
    to free speech.  We have wonderful agencies like the EFF and others,
    who take on the challenges of combating these offensive laws and their
    misuses, but they appear to be fighting a losing battle.  We vote in
    public elections, and nothing happens.  So I ask the Bugtraq
    community, what aren't we doing, that we can do to keep the corporate
    giants from squashing our voices, and put technology back in the hands
    of the people, where it belongs?

    - --
    Derek Martin               ddmat_private
    I prefer mail encrypted with PGP/GPG!
    GnuPG Key ID: 0x81CFE75D
    Retrieve my public key at http://pgp.mit.edu
    Learn more about it at http://www.gnupg.org