Re: It takes two to tango

From: Tom Perrine (tepat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 10:53:04 PDT

        CP> <snip>

        >> "Ferson also said that HP reserves
        >> the right to sue SnoSoft and its members "for monies
        >> and damages caused by the posting and any use of the
        >> buffer overflow exploit."

        CP> This raises a very interesting point.  Bruce Schneier has stated
        CP> publicly that he believes vendors should be held responsible for
        CP> security flaws in their products
        CP> (http://www.nwfusion.com/columnists/2002/0422faceoffyes.html).  I
        CP> agree with this viewpoint, as, I am sure, do many people on this list.
        CP> However, how would this affect the vulnerability disclosure process?

    Others, even some lawyers, agree:

    http://www.gocsi.com/pdfs/byte.pdf

    Erin also had a similar article in ;login: (requires USENIX
    membership):

    http://www.usenix.org/publications/login/2001-12/pdfs/kenneally.pdf

    and most recently in IEEE Computer:

    http://www.computer.org/computer/co2002/r6toc.htm

    --
    Tom E. Perrine <tepat_private> | San Diego Supercomputer Center
    http://www.sdsc.edu/~tep/     |