Re: White paper: Exploiting the Win32 API.

From: Adam Megacz (adamat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 11:10:09 PDT

    Roland Kaufmann <rolandat_private> writes:
    > > 3)  Microsoft cannot fix these vulnerabilities.

    > (b) WM_TIMER messages are posted to the message queue and can be
    > filtered by the application, as stated in the documentation for
    > this message. The application can have a list over timers and check
    > this for validity. (Moral of the story: Don't trust window message
    > parameters any more than user input).

    I believe this was his point -- Microsoft cannot fix this; we have to
    rewrite every single Win32 application and arrange for it to maintain
    this list.

    This vulnerability strikes me as very similar to gets() -- the OS (or
    C library) has provided a primitive which makes it seductively easy to
    write insecure code.

      - a

    --
    Sick of HTML user interfaces?
    www.xwt.org

    Amendment XXVIII: "thou shalt maximize thy stock price at all costs"