Re: White paper: Exploiting the Win32 API.

From: slack3r (slack3r@boy-genius.net)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 09:13:29 PDT

    Bugtraq,

    I've been following this posting on the exploitation of the Win32 API
    with interest. I think that Chris was correct in saying the following
    from his original posting:

    	5)  This is not a bug.  This is a new class of vulnerabilities, like a
    	buffer overflow attack or a format string attack.  As such, there is
    	no specific vendor to inform, since it affects every software maker
    	who writes products for the Windows platform.  A co-ordinated release
    	with every software vendor on the planet is impossible.

    I think the point has been made that there are ways to fix this problem,
    but the point is, this is a very real way of exploiting poorly written
    applications. It's no different than exploiting, as he said, a buffer
    overflow, or format strings, vulnerabilities of which abound throughout
    the Internet. Though there may be a way to prevent these
    vulnerabilities, the same could be said for, say, a buffer overflow, and
    yet they're found all over the place. I think Chris has a valid point in
    bringing this forward, and it's something that every Win32 programming
    should take into account, while trying to write secure applications.
    This is a topic that needed to be addressed.

    -Bryan

    P.S. I think it'd be interesting to see how many (if any) Microsoft
    programs are affected by this type of vulnerability, even though they
    "have known about these vulnerabilities for some time".