New l2tpd release 0.68

From: Jeff Mcadams (jeffmat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 07:31:43 PDT

    OK folks, there's a new release of l2tpd out there, version 0.68.

    The biggest change, and the reason that Bugtraq is getting a copy of
    this, is adding other sources of entropy for l2tpd to use.  All versions
    of l2tpd up to this point used the rand() function to generate random
    numbers, but didn't seed rand() with srand() *AT ALL*! (Hey, I didn't
    originally write it, folks ;).  rand() was used as a source for random
    numbers for tunnel, and session ids (which means that, previously, tunnel
    and session ids were predictable...not a big deal), but also for
    challenge generation in the challenge-response mechanism (which *IS* a
    big deal).

    So, we now seed rand() using time(), which sucks, but doesn't suck
    *nearly* as bad as not seeding rand() at all!  Suggestions for better
    seeds are welcome.  :)

    We also implemented the ability to read randomness from /dev/urandom,
    which hopefully is a better source of randomness (it is on Linux at
    least).

    So, if anyone is using the L2TP challenge-reponse authentication in
    l2tpd, you will almost assuredly want to upgrade to 0.68.  Its available
    at http://www.l2tpd.org/downloads/l2tpd-0.68.tar.gz.  For Debian users,
    the Debian maintainer of this package is preparing a security release
    update for it as we speak, it should be available before long (I'm not
    sure how long that process takes).  Any other distribution
    maintainers...I don't know who you are, don't have any contact with you,
    but I'd like to...get in touch with me and I can give you heads up in
    the future about security issues.

    Now...on to other changes (Bugtraq folks probably won't care about the
    rest of these as much as they are not security issues)...

    Updated copyright notice on all relevent files
        Just added a copyright notice for my work...nothing major

    Changed vendor name as it appears in AVP's
        It was still reporting Adtran, which they have had nothing to do
        with l2tpd development in quite some time.

    Add new sources of randomness, reading /dev/urandom
        detailed above

    Seed rand() with time()
        also detailed above

    Stubs available for egd randomness source, not implemented yet though
        This is another source of randomness that will be available in the
        future...I don't have the actual code in place to use it yet.

    Don't close fd 0 as workaround for signal problems in daemon mode
        This is not a great fix for this...but should at least make it work
        better...a better fix should be forthcoming as more investigation
        into what's causing these errors is made

    Fix some off by 6 errors in avp handling
        When dealing with the size of the value in an AVP, don't use the
        length field of the AVP...at least not without subtracting 6 bytes
        for the AVP header...I think there are more places for this to be
        fixed in the code...haven't auditted all of the avp handling code
        for this yet.

    Oh...and one that I forgot to add in the CHANGELOG.  Jean-Francois Dive
        (the aforementioned Debian maintainer for this package) submitted a
        rough draft of a l2tpd.conf.5 man page...I already know of at least
        one error in it (the control pipe is l2tp-control, not
        l2tpd-control), but I wanted to go ahead and get this release out
        since there were security implications...patches to the man page (or
        anything else in the software that would be useful) are greatfully
        welcomed on the l2tpd-devel list (l2tpd-develat_private).

    Further information about the l2tpd project is, as always, available at
    http://www.l2tpd.org.

    Thanks!
    --
    Jeff McAdams                            Email: jeffmat_private
    Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848