RE: EEYE: Macromedia Shockwave Flash Malformed Header Overflow

From: Drew (dcopleyat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 15:11:59 PDT

    This is very similiar to one of the other crashes we have found.
    (Breaking
    into it reveals the same instruction as one of them). The current
    revision
    does not fix any of these other potentially exploitable crashes
    mentioned
    in the advisory.

    The difficulty is really in making these crashes exploitable. The
    one which we posted about was absolutely exploitable and which we wrote
    exploit code for. This involved running bit combinations of the header
    and built in stack tracing where key EIP changes were alerted and
    logged to a file. Since it is nearly impossible to crack 27 bytes with
    combinations between 00 and FF, we made some educated jumps at
    key junctures... over a period of several weeks.

    This said, running tests against other filetypes have revealed
    similiar issues which we are trying to find the time to fully work
    out. (The actual primary testing method does not involve so much
    of bit shifting as it does going through the file systematically,
    looking for memory write issues, so that every error condition might
    at least be caught).

    And, some filetypes are far more difficult to test in this automated
    manner than Flash. For instance, pdf files involve a lengthy loading
    of the slow running pdf module, and numerous office applications open
    outside windows which must be automatically closed... still not giving
    a solid oppourtunity to use the automated exception handler and
    debugger.

    Hopefully, in the not too distant future Macromedia will have all
    of these potentially exploitable conditions removed from their file
    type, as their software is exceedingly popular and would make for
    a very bad method of attack against users.

    http://alternex.com.br/~claviola/sample1.swf (original)
    http://alternex.com.br/~claviola/sample2.swf (modified)

    --
    Carlos Laviola <carlosat_private>