Re: Information disclosure on mod_auth ( apache 1.3.26 ) ?

From: Alex Muntada (alexm+bugtraqat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 02:07:36 PDT

    Quoting Hector A. Paterno:

    > I have found  a discrepancy between mod_auth and ServerTokens Prod.
    >
    > Using, openbsd CURRENT , apache 1.3.26, as the example:
    >
    > I add the following line to the httpd.conf file :
    >
    > ServerTokens Prod
    >
    > So, when I try to get the version/modules of apache with the HEAD
    > method, I obtain as a reply only the type of the server :
    >
    >  HEAD / HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n
    >
    > [info]
    > Server: Apache
    > [info]
    >
    > But , when I enable mod_auth and try to access the protected directory
    > with an invalid username / password, I obtain the following errror :
    >
    > 401 Authorization Required
    > [bleh bleh info]
    > Apache/1.3.26 Server at xxxxx Port 80
    >
    > Giving me the version of the apache server.
    >
    > I'm not an apache guru, but from from my point of view this seems to be a
    > flaw(?) in the mod_auth module.

    Hector,
    to disable apache server signature (it's on by default) you
    should add this to your httpd.conf and restart apache:

      ServerSignature Off

    The ServerTokens directive applies to HTTP Server response
    header only. Take a look at apache manual for more details:

      http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#serversignature
      http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#servertokens

    Best regards.

    --