possible exploit: D-Link DI-804 unauthorized DHCP release from WAN

From: Jens Jensen (jpj@netcom-usa.com)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 00:06:48 PDT

    Problem: malicious user can release DHCP client on D-Link DI-804 router
    interrupting network communications

    I need some other D-Link DI-804 users (as well as other dlink routers) to
    see if they can reproduce this problem--
    With "remote administration" mode enabled to any IP (web interface wide
    open
    on WAN side), It seems that a malicious user can activate DHCP
    release/renew without first being authenticated as the admin (priviledged
    user)

    the webpage that I can get to on the dlink built in web interface is
    http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/release.htm
    where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the ip address of your router, specifically for
    these purposes, the wan ip address

    firmware: 4.68
    device: DI-804

    This would be a BAD thing, since an attacker could interrupt communications
    on the router
    This can be temporarily fixed by either disabling "remote administration"
    or limiting the IP addresses allowed to remote admin.
    I have submitted this to D-Link support.
    I'm also wondering what other D-Link routers this could affect.

    Jens Jensen
    MCP, CCNA