RE: Who framed Internet Explorer and IE6 SP1

From: GreyMagic Software (securityat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 10:21:53 PDT

    We received numerous emails asking whether the frames issue is (partially)
    fixed in IE6 SP1 since the "Program execution" and "Local file reading"
    demonstrations in our advisory did not function.

    These demonstrations did not function because SP1 blocks links to res:// and
    file:// URLs and not because Microsoft fixed the core vulnerability (this
    could have been verified by running the first and second demonstrations).

    We have now revised both demonstrations according to Thor's post, and it is
    again possible to read local files and execute programs under IE6 SP1 as
    well.

    The advisory and demonstrations can be found at
    http://sec.greymagic.com/adv/gm010-ie/.