Re: Password Security Policy Question

From: Roman Drahtmueller (drahtat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 11:51:24 PDT

    > I am aware of a company that has instituted a policy that limits a
    > specific character in people's passwords to being a numeric character.
    > Personally, I am confused at this policy.  It seems to me that
    > placing such a specific limit on a specific position in a password
    > simply reduces the number of guesses that someone would have to try
    > in a brute force attack.
    >
    > Does anyone out there know if there is any theoretical basis for
    > believing that a policy to limit a specific character position
    > in passwords to a numeric character will enhance security.  If not,
    > does anyone know how such a misunderstanding might have occurred?

    Theoretically, you are right. The number of possible passwords is smaller
    with a limitation to a certain class of characters.
    In practice though, it might make sense if you consider psychological
    reasons: If a user is allowed to chose a password without any digits, then
    she will use a simple word in most cases. Seen from the other side: Making
    the passwords a bit more complicated gives you a slightly better
    protection against manual brute-forcing.
    To have a more satisfactory solution, you could make your system use
    cracklib or similar to check the strength of a new password. It will be
    bitching at you then.

    > Adrian

    Roman.
    --
    | Roman Drahtmüller      <drahtat_private> // "You don't need eyes to see, |