slashdot / slashcode disclosing passwords

From: Michal Zalewski (lcamtufat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 10:25:45 PDT

    Hey,

    I noticed that Slashdot has a nasty bug, which, I imagine is a fault of
    Slashcode. On certain occassions, you can find a very interesting Referer
    string for some visitiors of pages mentioned on this site. One of such
    entries:

    63.XXX.XXX.175 - - [11/Sep/2002:18:13:33 +0200] "GET /newtcp/ HTTP/1.1"
    200 33541 "http://slashdot.org/?unickname=dXXg&passwd=rXXXX3"
    "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.1) Gecko/20020826"
    [lcamtuf.coredump.cx]

    Go figure. This does not seem to be a consistent pattern, of thousands
    hits from Slashdot only about 15-20 were like that today, so it seems like
    a specific condition have to be met, yet it's not that uncommon - I'd
    guess it happens right after you login and click on the link. I did not
    investigate it too much, but it seems to me that Slashcode is fairly
    popular and used in quite a few places - and that's a nice example of why
    GET shouldn't be used for forms. This is based exclusively on the real
    world observation of this pattern.

    I gave Slashdot a short notice because it does not really matter how fast
    you patch it - once public, people can grep their webserver logs for past
    entries anyway.

    --
    Michal Zalewski