Re: slashdot / slashcode disclosing passwords

From: Jamie McCarthy (jamieat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 15:54:47 PDT

    lcamtufat_private (Michal Zalewski) writes:

    > I gave Slashdot a short notice because

    ...you were impatient, I guess.  But the explanation is simple.

    Our users access that link from these pages:

    http://slashdot.org/users.pl?op=changepasswd
    http://slashdot.org/users.pl?op=edituser

    which inform him or her:

        You can automatically log in by clicking _This Link_ and
        Bookmarking the resulting page.  This is totally insecure,
        but very convenient.

    Anyone whose password shows up in your referrer logs has been
    duly warned.

    Any security concerns with Slashcode or Slashdot should be sent to
    securityat_private  (This address can be found by clicking
    "bugs" on the Slashdot homepage.  As stated there, we adhere to
    the RFP, and ask you to as well.)

    --
     Jamie McCarthy
     jamieat_private