Re: nidump on OS X

From: John C. Welch (jwelchat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 14:52:01 PDT

    On 09/15/2002 17:28, "Dale Harris" <rodmurat_private> wrote:

    > Basically any normal user can get a dump of the passwd file and attempt
    > brute force attacks on the encrypted passwds, it includes the root passwd.
    >
    > This problem has been around for well over a year, but Apple ignores it:
    >
    > http://www.securitytracker.com/alerts/2001/Jul/1001946.html
    > http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/211718
    > Dale Harris <rodmurat_private>
    > However Apple hasn't seemed to bother addressing it yet since it still
    > persists
    > in OS X.2 (Jaguar).  You'd think they might have taken the opportunity to fix
    > this problem with a new major release.

    It's not a case of ignoring it. It's a case of it's been around since
    NetInfo came out. It's *far* older than a year. But NetInfo is buggy,
    non-standard, poorly documented and understood, and only runs on OS X/*Step
    systems unless you get a connector from PADL.

    If you look at 10.2, they are *heavily* moving to LDAP v3, which handles
    this sort of thing better, but unfortunately, it has to, for now, tie into
    NetInfo. Netinfo is bound at a very low level to the OS, and extracting it
    correctly will not happen quickly.

    > This obviously isn't such a big problem when you are dealing with only
    > limited access desktop systems, but Xserve exists now, and I would think
    > it'd be a bigger concern.  Course you could always chmod 700 nidump.

    It's an issue with NetInfo, not any one utility.

    john

    --
    John C. Welch
    IT Manager