RE: CommonName Toolbar potentially exposes LAN web addresses

From: Mustafa Deeb (mustafaat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 08:09:12 PDT

    how can you get rid of Commonname?

    Cheers

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Eric Stevens [mailto:mightyeat_private]
    Sent: Thu, October 03, 2002 3:10 PM
    To: Bugtraq; supportat_private
    Subject: CommonName Toolbar potentially exposes LAN web addresses

    Due to a bug in the URL validation done in CommonName Toolbar (in at least
    dll version 3.5.2.0 on IE 6), addresses from local intranets may be exposed
    to the CommonName organization.  It would appear on early evaluation that
    valid URLs such as
    http://someserver/some/path
    are deemed an attempt to locate an organization named "someserver," with
    reference to "some path."

    The key seems to be the lack of a dot in the server name.

    The danger of this is relatively low, only CommonName is exposed to this
    information, and other search engines as configured by the user on the
    CommonName website, and even then only after a clickthrough on the
    CommonName website.  All are reputable organizations, though it does still
    represent a breach in data security.

    Though danger is low, annoyance factor is high, users are prevented from
    accessing their Intranet unless they use a dot-included version of the
    server name.

    More annoying to me than the bug, and the fact that users here who had it
    installed were prevented from actually being able to access our Intranet
    servers, however, is that when I turned off all CommonName options, users
    were still being directed to the CommonName website on Intranet requests.
    Further, in an attempt to allow these users access to our Intranet again, I
    closed out of all browsers and uninstalled the CommonName toolbar, restarted
    the system, and found that they were still being directed to the CommonName
    website on Intranet requests; my best efforts to disable the CommonName
    toolbar by supplied mechanisms were futile.

    The working solution was to remove all non-administrative access to the
    Program Files\CommonName directory, preventing users' IE sessions from being
    able to read the DLL's, and finally disabling the CommonNames auto-search
    functionality.

    As an asside, that caused me to stumble on an idea to proactively protect
    yourself from spyware; intentionally install it, or else find out what paths
    are used to install it, then deny yourself access to those paths, and even
    the sneakiest spyware will be unable to install itself on your system,
    unless it chooses random locations and file names.

    Further testing with CommonNames toolbar is left as an exercise to those
    with out a database due tomorrow (read: the user).

    -MightyE