Re: Kill a Unisys Clearpath with nmap port scan

From: Michael.Kainat_private
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 10:31:41 PDT

    I've emailed Jonathan privately, but I'll post here as well in case others
    have experienced this as well.

    I'm one of the lead security engineers for the ClearPath MCP environment
    (NX, LX, etc), and have run security scanners against the MCP environment
    dating back to the MCP 5.0 software release.  I've just completed running
    them against the MCP 8.0 networking release, and have never experienced a
    fatal system error because of them.  Excessive logging, yes, since the
    current design does log an entry for each "SYN received for unknown port"
    that occurs into the system sumlog.

    I'd like to get some more detailed information about this so that we can
    see what can be done to help and clarify what is being seen.  Please
    contact me directly.

    Mike Kain
    System Enabling Software -- Eastern Development Lab
    Unisys Corporation, Malvern, PA [Michael.Kainat_private]

    Adjunct Professor, Computer Science Dept., College of Engineering
    Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA [mkainat_private]