RE: Ambiguities in TCP/IP - firewall bypassing

From: John Fitzgerald (john@match-fit.com)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 04:42:07 PDT

    An interesting point, T/TCP does indeed require multiple flags to be set
    simultaneously, however, it's also not a proven protocol. In fact there
    are potential security issues
    Apart from the potential DoS (re-introducing SYN floods to some
    environments) it's not clear how all IP stacks will respond to these
    packets.
    There's also a clear security issue with allowing one side of the
    handshake to send commands before the handshake's been completed - with
    standard TCP/IP it's relatively easy to spoof the source IP for the SYN
    but this doesn't get the perpetrator very far - with T/TCP a spoofed SYN
    could actually send a command which may be actioned if the target host
    only uses the source IP as validation (such as rlogin/rsh). This last
    matter isn't a show stopper, I don't allow rlogin etc - and if I did it
    would only be for addresses that can only be internal (the firewall
    would prevent external devices from spoofing such addresses). But this
    is just one example of a new security hole being opened by T/TCP...Ever
    cautious, I'm inclined to block this traffic and see what else turns up
    as the protocol matures.

    If anything, this reaffirms my belief in blocking any unexpected traffic
    (allow it only when it becomes clear that it must be allowed through,
    and only after making sure that new security holes aren't being
    introduced)

    While on the subject, have there been any moves to ramp up the
    acceptance of T/TCP, I can see that there are distinct performance
    advantages for HTTP?