The Unix Auditor's Practical Handbook

From: K. K. Mookhey (ctoat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 05:15:01 PST

                "The Unix Auditor's Practical Handbook"
                        http://www.nii.co.in/tuaph.html
                                              by
                                    K. K. Mookhey
                    Network Intelligence India Pvt. Ltd.
                                http://www.nii.co.in

    We at Network Intelligence India Pvt. Ltd. have written a document on unix
    auditing called "The Unix Auditor's Practical Handbook", which is available
    for download from our website http://www.nii.co.in/tuaph.html

    The idea behind this is to present a step-by-step practical guide to
    auditors when carrying out a Unix Audit. It mostly covers Sun Solaris
    systems, but it has cross-references for AIX and Linux.
    It details the auditing procedure right from the moment you enter the
    client's server room, to running the automated auditing tools.

    It covers the following areas of an Audit:
    1. Preliminary Steps
    2. Documentation
    3. Physical Security
    4. Operating System Security
    5. Network Security
    6. Filesystem Security
    7. User and Group Security
    8. Sun Built-in Auditing
    9. Backup and Emergency Response
    10. Automated Auditing Tools
    11. References

    We have kept the focus on the practicality of conducting an audit, providing
    the reader with the commands, filenames, tools, and techniques for carrying
    out the
    audit.

    It is also useful for security administrators, who might be looking to
    implement security on their Unix Servers.

    Please send all feedback to unixat_private

    Sincerely,
    K. K. Mookhey
    CTO
    Network Intelligence India Pvt. Ltd.
    Tel: 91-22-22001530, 22006019
    Email: ctoat_private
    Web: www.nii.co.in

    The steps carried out as part of this document are already present in our
    automated Unix auditing tool:
    AuditPro for Unix:
    http://www.nii.co.in/software/apunix.html