Bind 8 bug experience

From: Michael Brennen (mbrennenat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 22:23:09 PST

    Three bugs in bind 4 and 8 were announced this morning, November 12.
    At least one has the possibility of arbitrary code execution, and
    the ISC web site lists it as 'Serious'.

    At 13:02 CST this afternoon per the ISC announcement, about an hour
    after receiving the bug announcement, I requested bind 8 patches
    from Lynda McGinley, Executive Director of ISC.  I received a
    response from her roughly 8 hours later this evening that I had been
    added to the patch announce list.  My thanks to Lynda for that, but
    she did not give direct information on where to get the patches, and
    I have received nothing from the patch announce list.  I don't know
    when I can expect to receive anything -- tonight, next week, or next
    month?

    Earlier today I asked Lynda a question: why were patches not made
    available at the time of the announcement?  Paraphrasing her
    response, since I have not asked her permission to forward verbatim
    what she wrote, she indicated that those in the bind forum that had
    subscribed to the early security notification had the patches
    readily available.  She indicated that ISC wanted to make sure that
    the right audience had the patches first.

    I clarified to her that my understanding is that the early
    notification subscription was for the purpose of vendors being
    notified before public announcement so they could get software
    packages updated and available prior to announcement.  Lynda
    affirmed this.

    My response to her was that the right audience should change in
    relation to announcement.

    Those that paid to be notified early had that expectation fulfilled.
    Before announcement, per current ISC practice, they are the right
    audience, and they got bind 4 and 8 patches.

    As of the moment of announcement, the right audience should be
    expanded to include all those placed at risk because they use the
    software.  Failure to make the patches available suddenly puts many
    systems at rapidly increasing risk.

    I have not yet heard a satisfactory answer why were patches not
    publicly available when this announcement was made.  More troubling,
    why has ISC not released the patches yet?  As of 23:44 CST, about 12
    hours after the first announcement, nothing beyond 8.3.3 is
    available in the normal directories on ftp.isc.org, yet updates
    clearly exist.

    Per the ISS announcement, to the best of their knowledge no crackers
    knew of these bugs, nor were there exploits available.  From the
    moment of the announcement, that is no longer true.  If these were
    truly unknown bugs, there was time to do this right, to fix the bugs
    and get the updates available.  That time advantage is eroding very
    rapidly.

    I had held off upgrading to bind 9 because of its newness. Observing
    its release history, in my assessment it has not been any better
    than bind 8.  There have been too many beta, release candidate and
    security fixes to be considered stable.  Meanwhile, ISC's policies
    left me with no real choice.  I've dropped everything else this
    evening and have upgraded to bind 9.

    I don't know of a similar incident when the known patches to such a
    serious problem were withheld by a software provider.  This is
    particularly true in the case of software of which its security and
    stability are the most crucial to the operation of the Internet.

    This raises troubling questions about the future management of bind.
    What will happen when the next bind 9 bug hits?

       -- Michael