Re: Bind 8 bug experience

From: Paul Theodoropoulos (paulat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 09:37:43 PST

    There is an alternative to this insanity. It's called djbdns, and it is
    proven secure, and proven reliable. I've been using it in production for a
    year now, and performance has been flawless. Thousands of other
    administrators will offer the same assessment. BIND is a security mess -
    that's an  empirical fact that can't be denied by anyone who has been on
    the net any appreciable amount of time.

    Why worry about timelines for advisories or patches or updates concerning
    this core service of the internet? Far easier to use software that has been
    proven to be secure and reliable from concept to execution (pun intended).

    http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html

    MODERATORS: considering the 100% 'meta' quality of the post i'm replying
    to, i certainly hope that you'll post this 'advisory'. People need to be
    aware that there are alternatives to BIND. It's a disservice to the
    community to *not* allow through a pointer to software that could save tens
    of thousands of administrators this endlessly repeating headache of systems
    being vulnerable to exploit via one of the single most crucial parts of th
    internet infrastructure - DNS. all you need to do is look at the history of
    exploits for bind, and compare it to djbdns - even if you throw out all the
    years of data for BIND from before djbdns's release.

    At 06:41 AM 11/14/2002, Olaf Kirch wrote:
    >The whole thing was a mess. Timelines for the publication of _anything_,
    >from advisories to patches to updates, were either non-existing or
    >shifting all the time.

    Paul Theodoropoulos
    http://www.anastrophe.com
    http://folding.stanford.edu