bind 8 info update regarding ISS

From: mark_salaat_private
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 06:37:08 PST

    Upfront, Like to recognize that ISS has been doing a
    great job at finding very critical but obscure
    vulnerabilities in popular services.  I'm guessing
    that there has been alot of other security experts
    that have audited the source code of Bind, SSH, etc
    and overlooked the discrepencies that ISS picks up on.

    Russ Cooper, the Surgeon General of TruSecure, blasted
    ISS publicly on the Symantec Bugtraq mailing list with
    an opinion on how ISS is irresponsible for not working
    with the ISC to properly patch Bind and how they
    unethically updated their own products.
    http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/299751/2002-11-11/2002-11-17/0

    Here's updated information that clears up whether ISS
    was acting responsible and properly gave notice to the
    ISC BIND organization.  Maybe Russ should give ISS an
    apology for jumping to conclusions without waiting for
    facts.

    http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=44855&threshold=-1&commentsort=0&tid=172&mode=thread&cid=4653012

    Re:Did ISS tell bind maintainers?

    ISS and ISC worked together on this. ISS found the
    vulns, ISC worked with the vendors, and both of us
    worked with CERT and coordinated the announcements.

    Paul Vixie
    Chairman, ISC

    Re:Did ISS tell bind maintainers?
    by Florian Weimer (fwat_private) on Tuesday
    November 12, @06:43PM (#4655265)
    (User #88405 Info | http://www.enyo.de/fw/)
    Does anyone know if ISS did the right thing, or are
    they being big doo-doo-heads?

    In this case, ISS did not rush ahead. This was a
    coordinated release. Of course, something went
    horribly wrong, but I don't think ISS is to blame for
    it (maybe they could have warned ISC that their
    approach wouldn't work out, though).

    http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/299873/2002-11-11/2002-11-17/0