Re: [Full-Disclosure] MS02-065 vulnerability

From: HggdH (hggdhat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 11:24:50 PST

    . From: "Paul Szabo" <pszat_private>
    . To: <bugtraqat_private>; <full-disclosureat_private>
    . Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 04:36
    . Subject: [Full-Disclosure] MS02-065 vulnerability
    .

    . (...)
    .
    . Is this what Microsoft calls "responsible disclosure"?
    .
    . (...)

    Please note they do recognise it, and also state that one should trust
    *noone*, including Microsoft.

    Quoting: "What steps could I follow to prevent the control from being
    silently re-introduced onto my system? The simplest way is to make sure you
    have no trusted publishers, including Microsoft."
    I do think this is "responsible disclosure". Even more: I think they did the
    right thing, when stated it. Would you rather have Microsoft *not* stating
    it?

    The only point I think should be made here is that Microsoft should have
    stated it clear and loud -- perhaps on it's own Security Bulletin. How many
    people really go and read it? After all, Microsoft is actually saying "do
    not trust me".

    The real interesting part, for me, is that the trust on the trusting
    mechanism has been shattered. Finally.

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html