pWins Perl Web Server Directory Transversal Vulnerability

From: Matthew Wagenknecht (mattwagenknechtat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 15:49:19 PST

    From www.sourceforge.net/projects/pwins: "pWins is a webserver-software
    based on perl and ruby (not yet) code. My aim is to make it fast, small and
    secure, supporting cgi (perl, ruby) and php scripts. It's easy to install
    and configurate!"

    versions: 0.2.5 and earlier, tested on Windows only..

    pWins allows directory transversal via unicode characters (%255, you know,
    nimda stuff).. If it's installed on the c drive, you can get to any file
    (ahem.. sam._) easily.. for example,
    http://SomeWebServer/../../windows/repair/sam._

    no exploit provided because too trivial..

    fix:
    author has posted a patch in the Bugs section on sourceforge.net, but I've
    found that it breaks script processing because he forgot to escape the
    special characters (%)in his regular expressions.. line 247 of cgipl.pm (i
    think) search for url_check

    or wait for version 0.2.8 due to be out soon..

    Matt Wagenknecht
    Security Administrator