Re: d_path() truncating excessive long path name vulnerability

From: Paul Szabo (pszat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 18:04:04 PST

    Back in March 2002, Wojciech Purczynski <cliphat_private> wrote (original
    article at http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/264117 ):

    > Name:		Linux kernel
    > Version:	up to 2.2.20 and 2.4.18
    > In case of excessively long path names d_path kernel internal function
    > returns truncated trailing components of a path name instead of an error
    > value. As this function is called by getcwd(2) system call and
    > do_proc_readlink() function, false information may be returned to
    > user-space processes.

    The problem is still present in Debian 2.4.19 kernel. I have not tried 2.5,
    but see nothing relevant in the Changelogs at http://www.kernel.org/ .

    Cheers,

    Paul Szabo - pszat_private  http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au:8000/u/psz/
    School of Mathematics and Statistics  University of Sydney   2006  Australia