RE: Kerberos login sniffer and cracker for Windows 2000/XP

From: Jason Coombs (jasoncat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 18:24:18 PST

    Aloha, Arne.

    Where can we find the source code for kerbcrack?

    It may be useful to point out that Internet Explorer 5.0 and later support
    Kerberos authentication by way of a Negotiate WWW-Authenticate header that
    is always sent by IIS paired with a classic NTLM WWW-Authenticate header. IE
    sends BOTH NTLM and Kerberos authorization data back to IIS, letting it pick
    the one it prefers to use.

    Kerbcrack points out the need for IPSec to be used in conjunction with
    Kerberos, but lazy client implementations that can't be forced to stop using
    older less-secure authentication methods concurrently with Kerberos are also
    an ongoing problem.

    Sincerely,

    Jason Coombs
    jasoncat_private