Re: Solaris priocntl exploit

From: Jay Beale (jay@bastille-linux.org)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 08:45:38 PST

    > but unfortunately, priocntl() never check '../' in pc_clname arg
    > we can use '../../../tmp/module' to make priocntl() load a module from anywhere

    You've got to love when this kind of classic mistake happens in a system call!

    I latched onto this one simply because it's the same poor input
    validation/permissions check that happens in my favorite old privilege escalator,
    userhelper.  ( http://online.securityfocus.com/bid/913 )

    This always gets classified as bad input validation.  Is the right answer really
    to check for ../ 's or to canonicalize the filename argument and check ownerships
    and permissions on the file and parent directories?

      - Jay