RE: Sygate Personal Firewall can be shut down without a need to supply a password - although one is required

From: Eitan Caspi (eitancaspiat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 13:53:34 PST

    Hello, Seth,

    First of all, I attach for you my latest response to Russ last email
    which was not posted yet. Just for you to catch up. Some of things I
    wanted to comment on this email of yours are found in the attached
    email.

    1. You wrote "...you vet... the editor of the newsgroup, and the
    vendor".
    Facts:

    A. I posted this to Sygate's forum two months ago - no one bothered to
    reply.

    B. I have spoke about this with Dave from Bugtraq and as you can see -
    he approved this note

    2. Before I will send issues like this to the email address you sent,
    two conditions should be fulfilled:

    A. This address should be published someplace obvious on your site - and
    not suddenly appear now, in the middle of this issue.
    B. The only support options for the free SPF is the forum - where I went
    in the first place.
    Sorry, but the horses already left the cages... You had the option to
    response when the problem was at your home, before it started to
    travel...

    3. You ignored Russ note of " it is possible for a developer to code
    something into their service which, when the service detects a shutdown
    request, causes that service to execute some action (such as prompting
    for a
    password). "

    I'm sorry, but I think what I said (and Russ looks like thinking the
    same) IS TECHNICALY TRUE.

    The scenario you noted is a really lame one:
    A. If the admin is stupid - he doesn't need or able to perform security
    in the first place
    B. You can easily solve this by forcing the admin to enable a password
    at the setup process of SPF. I'm sure you can also enable the password
    mechanism for users who are members of only certain security groups. You
    can also force a password for starting of the uninstalling process of
    SPF.
    As you can see - you can think of a lot of options to implement this.

    4. I am still not asking for your forgiveness or retracing my claims
    since I'm still not convinced I am wrong.

    5. No, the new term by you ("users without the rights to stop a
    service") is still misleading. No term at all should be used.
    The password for exit feature is NOT (until now) related to any user's
    security membership.
    You claim it was "meant" for specific users - but that claim could not
    be found anywhere until your email showed up. You just made it up for
    this issue.

    6. Sorry, I am certain that this help web page was changed after my
    report.
    Before I initially posted to Sygate forum, I went to the help web page
    to see what Sygate has to say about this - and this feature was not
    mentioned, either by text or in the screen shot.

    7. You are correct when you are stating that "The reason that the "ask
    password while exiting" box is dimmed is that you have to enter a
    password before the check box is able to be checked."
    But why did you choose to post a screen shot showing this check box as
    dimmed?
    And why on the same page you don't mention this feature at all?
    After all - customers will see the check box on the screen shot but will
    not find any description of it. Isn't it strange?

    8. I think the debate is (trying) to be professional. But... in the
    moment that one side if performing steps that are moving from the
    professional side to the (un)moral side - THEY changed the nature of the
    debate, and thus they can't claim it is not "professional".

    Feel free to attack my credibility if you think it is problematic.
    I wrote what I wrote since this is what I think and feel.

    I didn't see much honesty from your side and your notes are a mix of
    half true and disregarding of the things that does not suit your goals.

    Eitan