RE: Missing admin sql password in Okena StormWatch

From: Marcus Gavel (mgavelat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 15:30:49 PST

    <Response from the Okena Team>

    Background: StormWatch is a security product that uses a central database to
    hold security configuration information that is used to control a number of
    security agents. In the text below, the server refers to the StormWatch
    central database server.

    The issue reported in the bugtraq message "Missing admin sql password in
    Okena StormWatch" -- null "sa" password permits anybody to connect to the
    StormWatch database -- has been studied.

    The StormWatch product install ensures that the "sa" user password is set to
    a random value. It also sets the database authentication type to "windows".
    This latter step prevents all users from connecting to the database unless
    they are the local windows administrator and they use their windows
    credentials. During a database upgrade (say moving from MSDE sp1 to MSDE
    sp2), the "sa" user password is reset to null. However, the authentication
    type remains "windows" which prevents any user from using the "sa" account.

    We received more information about the reported issue that said that a local
    administrator had access to the database via ODBC, with no password being
    entered. This is the expected behavior as the local windows administrator
    has full access to the database for maintenance purposes. The null "sa"
    password was perceived to be the reason why no password was required, but
    the real reason was that the local administrator credentials were being used
    to access the database.

    The StormWatch documentation states that the server should be physically
    secure and that unauthorized users should not have accounts on that system.
    The default security policies that are applied to the server prevent any
    remote access to the system (apart from our Web based management interface).

    After reviewing this information, we do not believe that any vulnerability
    exists for StormWatch customers if no unauthorized user has the server's
    Administrator password. However, for 'defense in depth' reasons, we
    recommend that the "sa" password be set to an unknown value. StormWatch
    customers can contact supportat_private for instructions to set the "sa"
    password.

    Thanks to Mario Robic for providing additional information about this issue.

    Bugs or security issues should be reported to supportat_private or
    securityat_private If StormWatch customers have any additional questions,
    they should contact supportat_private