Re: Potential disclosure of sensitive information in Netscape 7.0 email client

From: Bartek Raszczyk (crayfishat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 01 2003 - 15:38:35 PST

    Hello Michael,

    MP> Netscape 7.0 includes, as part of it's release, an email client, capable of
    MP> handling POP3 and IMAP accounts. The method that the email client utilizes
    MP> to permanently delete email messages is not explained, which could lead to
    MP> users having large quantities of email messages, which they would think of
    MP> as permanently deleted, still stored in clear text on their hard disks.

          The same applies to Ritlab's The Bat! (up to version 1.60c i'm
          currently using).

          The Bat! stores all of the messages in
          $thebathome\mail\$accountname\$foldername\Messages.tbb and
          status information in Messages.tbi (without customization and
          message filtering all mail goes to $foldername named inbox).
          All messages remain there until Folder|Compress function is used.

          The question is - is that a feature or a bug?
          I'm using The Bat! for nearly three years now and it's there
          from where I can remember (although there were dozen or so version changes).

    --
    Best regards,
     Bartek Raszczyk                           mailto:crayfishat_private