Directory traversal bug in Communigate Pro 4's Webmail service

From: G.P.de.Boer (g.p.de.boerat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 12:41:06 PST

    Directory traversal bug in Communigate Pro 4.0b to 4.0.2

    Overview
    --------

    When experimenting a bit with Communigate Pro's webmail service I found
    a directory traversal bug by which attackers can read any file readable
    by the user Communigate runs as, defaultly root, not chrooted. I have
    only tested this on the FreeBSD version. Builds for other platforms are
    most probably vulnerable too.

    Exploitation
    ------------

    Telnet to the port Communigate Pro's webmail service is listening on or
    establish a SSL-session and issue a request like: (mind the "//")

    GET /DomainFiles/*//../../../../etc/passwd HTTP/1.0

    Communigate will send the passwd file. Ofcourse the number of ".."'s
    depends on your installation.

    Fix
    ---

    Upgrade to Communigate Pro 4.0.3, available on www.stalker.com.

    Other considerations

    You might want to run Communigate Pro as a non-root user, if you're not
    doing so already. Read the following link for more information about
    dropping root:
    http://www.stalker.com/CommuniGatePro/SysAdmin.html#Root

    Thanks
    ------

    Thanks go out to Stalker Software for their quick and adequate response,
    a reply within a few minutes and a fix within 24 hours, bravo!